If you have just sold your property or found a new home, you are probably starting to plan your move. There are number of different removal options to consider, mainly – hiring a removals company, booking a white van man or simply doing it yourself.
It can be quite difficult to decide which option is the best for your move.
Here at Fife Group, we have been in the removals business for years and consider ourselves experts when it comes to moving. We are also members of The British Association of Removers (BAR), an industry standard for removals. Therefore we know what we are talking about when it comes to removals.
We understand that when it comes to moving house you have to decide what type of removal service suits you best. This involves comparing removals companies and weighing up the pros and cons of your removals options before making a decision.
In this article, I am going to compare the difference between hiring a removals company, a white van man and doing the move yourself. I’m sure you’ve heard arguments and the pros and cons from both sides. And because everyone is out to make a sale, what you’ve heard up until now has likely been quite biased.
Firstly, let me point out that a removals company may or may not be the right option for you. Just as a white van man may or may not be the right type of removal service for you, and the same with doing the removal yourself – it all comes down to you and what you think would suit your situation better. In the end, the choice comes down to the type of service you want, the cost vs your budget, and the availability.
To help you make the best decision, I have put together a guide to choosing the right type of removals service for your needs.
You should choose a white van man if:
- You don’t have a lot to move – ideal for small flat/property that doesn’t have a lot of furniture/belongings to move.
- You don’t have a lot of valuables to move – always check that your valuables are going to be safe for transport and the type of transport is suitable.
- You only want some assistance with moving your belongings to and from your new property – Some companies will not move your furniture for you, but expect you to do all the moving yourself. The only thing they will do is load the boxes into the van and take them out of the vehicle for you. Always check what level of service you are getting before moving.
- If you have left organising a removal to the last minute, sometimes a white van man has more availability.
- You want to pay an hourly rate.
You should choose a removals company if:
- If you have a lot to move – ideal if you have a larger property and/or substantial amount of furniture to move to your new address. A removals company will have a fleet of different sized vehicles to meet your requirements.
- If you require a full or part packaging service. Some removals companies will unpack all your belongings for you at your new address.
- Some removals companies also offer self storage, so you can combine both services usually at a discounted price.
- If you are a commercial business moving to new business premises – a professional removals company will have the right fleet of lorries to get your removal done more efficiently.
- If you require liability insurance – to give you peace of mind and to protect your belongings for unforeseen damages and loss
- If you are worried about your valuables – most larger removals companies will have some form of accreditation, such as The British Association of Removers (BAR) for which staff must be fully trained and companies must follow regulations set by BAR.
- If you want someone to give you an estimate. Most firms will have an online removals calculator, but they should also offer you a free quotation by which someone comes to your property and costs the removal for you, thus you will know exactly how much the move will cost for the beginning.
You should choose to do the move yourself if:
- You feel you can do the removal yourself, i.e. you have friends and family who can help do the actual removal.
- You have access to a vehicle that can hold all of your items or make double trips to move everything as efficiently as possible.
- You don’t have a lot to move.
- You want to keep your removal costs to a bare minimum.
- You have the time to do it. Doing it yourself is often more time consuming and stressful. So as long as you have time and people to help you, you should be fine.
So there you have it. My advice is to look at the lists and see what suits you best. Although we are a removals company, doing a removal yourself or hiring a white van man may be a better option for you – it really depends on your specific situation.
I do hope you found this article useful to get some professional, unbiased information about the removal options available to you.
I think the key factors in any removal is hiring someone who knows what they are doing, who works to a timeframe and is trustworthy.
Good luck moving home.